Looking for a way to play the South African Powerball online? You are in the right place! This amazing game is available to South African lottery fans, but also to international players on theLotter, the world-leading lottery messenger service.
One of the lottery champions of South Africa, the SA Powerball is based on the American version of the game, which has earned international popularity with its enormous jackpots. The SA Powerball is run by Ithuba and its very first draw was held back in October 2009. The current jackpot record stands at R232 million, which was awarded in February 2019.
Play SA Powerball online for a chance to scoop some of the amazing prizes! Try one of the advanced gameplay strategies to boost your odds of winning the game!
The rules of the game are simple. To play South Africa Powerball, choose 5 main numbers from 1 to 50 and a Powerball number from 1 to 20. If you match all the main numbers and the Powerball, you win the jackpot .
The SA Powerball draws take place every week on Tuesdays and Fridays at 21:00, local time. When you play the game online you can buy your tickets in advance or even subscribe to the game to make sure you don’t miss any draw.
You can buy official tickets and play SA Powerball online from South Africa and anywhere in the world, using the services of a reliable lottery messenger such as theLotter. All you have to do is to create an account and then you can purchase your tickets in a matter of clicks. Then, one of theLotter’s local agents in South Africa will purchase the official tickets on your behalf from authorized retailers. You will receive a scan of the ticket in your account before the draw takes place.
To play SA Powerball on theLotter, you have to select your numbers using the play grid on the site. You can choose them manually or you can click on the Quick Pick option to get a random combination of 5 main numbers and a Powerball for your entry. On the same platform, you can also try your luck at other two South African games – the SA Lotto and the Daily Lotto.
The SA Powerball offers 9 prize categories, jackpot included. To win the first prize, you have to guess all the five main numbers and the Powerball. The jackpot is more than half of the entire prize fund and it does not feature a cap, which means that there is no limit to how much it can grow. The current record stands at a whopping R232 million, which was set in February 2019.
The amount of the prizes in the SA Powerball differs from one draw to another because it is determined according to ticket sales. Each SA Powerball prize represents a percentage of the prize fund. The jackpot has the highest quota and it will be paid out to the winner. If there is more than one jackpot-winning ticket, the prize will be split evenly between the winners.
The prizes in the upper seven divisions are pari-mutuel, meaning each division receives a percentage of the total prize pool. The prizes in the eighth and ninth division are fixed at R15 and R10 respectively. In the table below, you can see the full list of SA Powerball prizes, the average amount paid out for each of them, as well as the odds of winning for each category.
|Division||Match||Prize Fund %||Average Prize||Winning Odds|
|1st||⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪ + 🔴||70.73%||R48,664,806||1: 42,375,200|
|3rd||⚪⚪⚪⚪ + 🔴||3.25%||R18,582||1: 188,334|
|5th||⚪⚪⚪ + 🔴||6.23%||R501||1: 4,280|
|7th||⚪⚪ + 🔴||3.9%||R21||1: 299|
|8th||⚪ + 🔴||10.99%||Fixed R15||1: 57|
|9th||🔴||12.01%||Fixed R10||1: 35|
As you can see, the SA Powerball offers some very tempting odds of winning. With each ticket you play, you stand a high chance of becoming a winner, but there are some ways you can boost your odds even further. When you play SA Powerball online on theLotter, you have access to some advanced play options which give you a better stand in the game. Here they are:
SA Powerball Syndicates – On theLotter, you can purchase a share in a SA Powerball syndicate to go into the game with a large number of tickets and all for a very affordable price. If one or more of the syndicate tickets is a winner, you will get your share of the prize. Read about some of the biggest syndicate winners to find out just how much this play method can pay off.
SA Powerball Bundles – You don’t have to choose between regular tickets and syndicates when you play on theLotter. You can choose a Bundle pack to get a standard entry, as well as a share in a South Africa Powerball syndicate, and all for a discounted price. Sounds tempting, right?
SA Powerball Systematic Forms – On theLotter, you can try out one of the most complex lottery play method – systematic forms. With this, you can play with every possible combination of 8-12 numbers on your tickets. If you match any of the winning numbers for the SA Powerball, you will have them on several tickets, which means you win more prizes. Get your very own multiplier with systematic forms!
SA Powerball Multi-Draws and Subscriptions – As proven by countless lottery winners, perseverance is the best strategy when it comes to the lottery. Make sure you have a ticket in for every SA Powerball draw with Multi-Draw packages and subscriptions, which also come with some sizable discounts.
The SA Powerball gives players a second chance to win with Powerball Plus. For an extra R2.50, you can add Powerball Plus to your SA Powerball ticket and enter a separate draw. After the official SA Powerball draw is complete, the Ithuba officials draw another set of 5 main numbers from 1 to 50 and a Powerball from 1 to 20 for Powerball Plus.
If you add the Powerball Plus option to your ticket and match the winning combination from the Plus draw, you can win the Powerball Plus prizes. You enter the draw with the same set of numbers you have chosen for the SA Powerball, but you have an extra chance to win!
Please note that you can’t participate in the Powerball Plus separately. Only after buying your SA Powerball ticket, you can add the Powerball Plus to it and enter this separate draw. The big advantage is that even if you don’t match any of the winning SA Powerball numbers, you can still win the Powerball Plus prizes. In the table below, you can see the full list and the average amounts.
|Division||Match||Prize Fund %||Average Prize||Winning Odds|
|1st||⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪ + 🔴||70.73%||R30,279,166||1: 42,375,200|
|3rd||⚪⚪⚪⚪ + 🔴||3.25%||R7,653||1: 188,334|
|5th||⚪⚪⚪ + 🔴||6.23%||R243||1: 4,280|
|7th||⚪⚪ + 🔴||3.9%||R10||1: 299|
|8th||⚪ + 🔴||10.99%||Fixed R7.50||1: 57|
|9th||🔴||Fixed R5||R5||1: 35|
If you want to know how your numbers performed in the last 10 draws, you can check the SA Powerball results below:
SA Powerball has delivered along they years some of mouth-watering jackpots, changing many lives over night and creating the top South African lottery winners. While the winners decided not to reveal their identity, here are the amounts they scooped along with a few details about the lucky ticket holders and their plans for the new-found fortune:
1. R232 million – this amazing prize was won by a a man in his 50s from Cape Town in the draw of February 19, 2019. After a long rollover streak that lasted the whole summer, SA Powerball delivered on this date its record to-date. The lucky owner was working a blue collar job before this life-changing windfall. When claiming his prize, he had no intention of quitting his job. His plans with the money referred to offering the best education to his kids.
2. R145 Million – this is the previous record for SA Powerball. A young man from Secunda used the numbers shown to him in a dream to fill in the lottery ticket that turned him into a millionaire in the draw of August 3, 2018. After finding out he had won, he stayed in for a whole weekend. He did not want to go out before claiming his prize as he was afraid something could happen to him.
3. R114 Million – this mouth-watering prize changed a woman’s life on February 4, 2020. The lucky ticket holder is from Soweto. She resigned from her day job right after she heard the news. Her plans for the money include buying a new home for her and her children, having a new house built for her mother and buying a luxury sedan for herself.
4. R102 Million – this is the jackpot a man from Bloemfontein almost lost on June 3, 2011. When checking the ticket, the cashier’s scanner failed twice in a row. The man almost gave up and was about to throw the ticket away, but the cashier’s third attempt to make the scanner work was successful and a message appeared to say the player had to visit a lottery office in order to claim his win. The lucky ticket holder from Bloemfontein said he wanted to use his money to expand his business.
5. R91 Million– this enormous jackpot was scooped by a 43-year-old woman from the Western Cape on February 12, 2010. When she found out she had a winning ticket, she decided to put it for safe-keeping in her husband’s wallet and to book into a hotel for a couple of days before claiming the money. The lucky couple did not even tell their two teenage children about the win before making the claim. Their plans for the new-found fortune? Buy a new home and a car for their eldest child.
There was theoretically a second winner for this jackpot – a deaf-mute cleaner Stanley Philander. He was widely reported to be the lucky winner, but lottery operator Gidani clarified that his ticket was not valid, being purchased after the draw had taken place.
We have prepared a list of the most commonly asked questions about the SA Powerball. Here is everything you need to know.
- How do you play SA Powerball?
To play South Africa Powerball, you need to choose 5 main numbers from 1 to 50 and a Powerball number from 1 to 20. If you match all the main numbers and the Powerball, you win the jackpot .
- Can I play SA Powerball online?
- Is it safe to play SA Powerball online?
Yes, it is completely safe. All you have to do is to create an account on theLotter and then you can purchase your tickets in a matter of clicks. One of theLotter’s local agents in South Africa will purchase the official tickets on your behalf from authorized retailers. You will receive a scan of the ticket in your account before the draw takes place.
- How do you play PowerBall Plus?
To play Powerball Plus, you have to add this option to your SA Powerball ticket. This will cost you an extra R2.50/ entry and it will enter you in the race for the Powerball Plus prizes.
- What's the difference between SA PowerBall and Powerball Plus?
The SA Powerball and Powerball Plus are two separate games offered in South Africa. Powerball Plus comes as an extra feature in the SA Powerball and it cannot be played separately. You can play SA Powerball without Powerball Plus, but you cannot play Powerball Plus without entering the Powerball Plus as well. Powerball Plus is drawn separately and it gives SA Powerball players the chance to win a different set of prizes with the same 5 main numbers and Powerball.
- Do 2 numbers in SA PowerBall win anything?
Unfortunately, if you only match 2 main numbers in the SA Powerball, you will not win anything as this is not one of the winning combinations in the game.
- Do you win anything if you only match the Powerball?
Yes, if you only match the Powerball number in the SA Powerball, you will win the 9th prize category, which is worth R10.00.
- How much is one number plus the SA PowerBall worth?
If you match any of the main numbers in the SA Powerball and the Powerball number, you win the 8th prize category, which is worth a fixed R15.00.
- Can you win SA Powerball with one number?
No, if you only match one of the 5 main numbers in the SA Powerball, you will not win any of the prizes in the game.
- How many numbers do you need to win anything in SA Powerball?
The minimum you need to win something in the SA Powerball is to match the Powerball number. This will earn you the 9th prize category, worth R10.00.